Friday, November 8, 2013

Freestyle Friday: I heart grammar

No, it's not Wordy Wednesday; but I'm going to give you a grammar lesson today.

Emma had her spelling and spelling sentences tests today. She started one of her sentences like this: "When me and mom go to the store..." Her teacher didn't count off for it, but she just wrote "mom and I" in parentheses above that phrase.

I asked Emma if she knew the rules for that kind of phrase. She didn't. (Which is probably why she didn't get counted off for it.)

Do you?

Here's how I explained it to Emma.

1) When you are listing people, including yourself, you (i.e. "I" or "me") are listed last.
2) To decide whether to use "I" or "me," take the other person/people out of the list as if the sentence were just about you and see which one reads correctly. "When me go to the store..." Wrong. "When I go to the store..." Right.

Easy peasy.

And that, my friends, is your grammar lesson for the day.

No comments: