Thursday, April 21, 2011

Easter preparations

Today was Emma's last day of school this week, since they will have Good Friday off. I guess they watched a movie about Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection as a way of explaining why we celebrate Easter. I know no other information than what Emma told me when I picked her up: which was that they watched a movie about how Jesus died. I told her that's what Easter is all about; and she said it's important that people know about Jesus. My heart swelled.

This evening we ate dinner with my parents and my grandpa, who lives in Florida and has been visiting at their house for a few days. It was really nice to see him, and I was so glad he and Emma got a chance to play together. After dinner Emma was so excited to color Easter eggs, which is what she, my mom and I did.



Our eggs turned out beautifully.


We ended up with 3 cartons of colored eggs (minus the one Emma and I ate). My mom gave Emma the choice of which ones she wanted to take. She wanted to take them all. So we came home with 3 cartons of colored eggs (minus the one Emma and I ate). Looks like deviled egg- and egg salad-making time at the Heacock house.

We even made a few special eggs:



Emma colored all over the last several she did with the crayon before she dyed them. They are so cute.

Here is a photo of Emma and her great-grandpa. (Neither he nor my dad colored eggs with us, but they watched and encouraged us.) My mom was taking their picture at the same time, which is why they were looking at her when I snapped this photo.


On our way home from my parents' house, Emma said, "I didn't like the part of the movie where they whipped Jesus. Or the crown of thorns."

I said, "It's sad what they did to Him, isn't it?" She agreed. I told her the really sad part was that He hadn't done anything wrong when they did that to Him. But, I said, it was good that He did that, because He did it for us because He loves us. She agreed again and said it was good that He did that so we can go to heaven. And again, my heart swelled.

I really enjoy talking about Jesus with Emma. I'm so glad she gets to learn about Him in Sunday school and at her preschool. Even for a 5 year old, she seems to really understand. I only hope and pray that I can continue to encourage her and help her learn and understand more.

I'm so glad that, even though she knows the Easter Bunny is coming, Emma understands that Easter is more important and more special than that.

2 comments:

amycornwell said...

So sweet! Love it all!

Peggy Holzworth said...

I'm glad too. I like the way you use teachable moments with Emma. I love hearing the things she says and your responses. You are an awesome Mom.