Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Reading rocks

I always enjoyed reading when I was in school. Well, let me amend that statement: I always enjoyed reading novels ~ not so much with the textbook reading.

I still have several of the books I read in high school and college. I don't have "The Great Gatsby," which I remember enjoying quite a bit; but I can probably get that at the library, which I may do. Here are the books I still have from school:

  • "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte
  • "The Sword in the Stone" by T.H. White
  • "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee
  • "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck
  • "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding
  • "The Little Prince" (in English) by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry {I was supposed to read the French version in high school... I will now admit that I cheated and read the English version. There, I said it.}
  • "Murder in the Cathedral" by T.S. Eliot
  • "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote

I also still have the books I remember were some of my favorites as a younger child:

  • "The Westing Game" by Ellen Raskin (I read this one over and over and over. Nothing like a fun mystery.)
  • "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" by Roald Dahl
  • "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle
  • "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett

I also really liked "The Indian and the Cupboard" by Lynne Reid Banks. I don't seem to have that one, but I do have the two sequels to it, "The Return of the Indian" and "The Secret of the Indian." These are great books for younger readers. Heck, I'd probably still enjoy them now.

My current favorites are the Twilight series and the Harry Potter series. Those are always great go-to books when I want something to read. But I have been on a kick of wanting to read the classics, and especially ones I've heard were good but never had the opportunity to read.


I am currently enjoying Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice." I checked it out at the local library, and of course the only copy available was the large-print edition. I'm just over halfway through the book and am finally getting used to the giant words.


Do you like to read? What are you reading now? What types of books do you enjoy most? Could I be any more nosy?

3 comments:

amycornwell said...

I don't read much, except for work. Some of the books are good and some are just BORING. But in regard to reading on my own, I like Christian fiction. Either Karen Kingsbury (which makes me cry) or Kristin Billerbeck (which makes me laugh).

Noblekatt said...

great picks! I am reading the Book of Lost things by John Connolly, it is amazing so far,dont want to stop reading it! kind of dark/YA genre but really doesnt feel like it. It plays on alot of old fairy tales and how the author REALLY thinks they went. cant wait to read more by this author!
totally into reading alot of the classics I missed too, treasure island and Gatsby are next on my list!

Rumple Family said...

The Westing Game - I loved that! I also loved all the Nancy Drew books! As an adult I LOVE the Twilight books. I also love Mary Higgins Clark.