Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Brilliant!

Today at Emma's school they celebrated the birthday of Dr. Seuss.


And we were supposed to put the kids in either black and white or red, white and black (like the Cat in the Hat).

"The Emma in the Hat"

I enjoy writing. From time to time, I think about maybe trying to write a kids' book. Then when I try to come up with an idea, I can't think of anything that's not been done already. People like Shel Silverstein (The Giving Tree, Where the Sidewalk Ends, etc.), Victoria Kann (author of the Pinkalicious books), and Dr. Seuss have pretty much cornered the market on great kids' literature.

I mean, how GREAT are Dr. Seuss's books?! I loved them as a child. And Emma loves them now. And I have a feeling her kids will love them, too, someday. His stories are timelessly whimsical.

My favorites as a kid were "Green Eggs and Ham" and "Wacky Wednesday". Emma's favorites are "What was I scared of?" (which she calls "Pale Green Pants"), "The Sneetches", and "The Zax" ~ all of which can be found in this book.

Maybe someday I'll be able to come up with a brilliant children's book idea. But, if not, at least we have Dr. Seuss and other great authors like him to keep our children entertained.

What are your favorite children's books?

1 comment:

Abby said...

I used to like Dr. Seuss. I remember liking Dr. Seuss. But now...I do not like Dr. Seuss. I think I'm just worn out from reading Green Eggs and Ham over and over and over again...