Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Lock and the Frantic Mommy

Let me preface this story by saying that Emma knows Daddy doesn't take any guff and that Mommy will take said guff longer than him. Today I decided to that I shouldn't take it as long as I normally do. Which is where our story begins. (Keep in mind that some of this is purely speculation on my part, but I'm pretty sure I'm spot on.)

As I put Emma down for a nap, I told her that she needs to stay in bed and that if she opened the door one time I would come in there and smack her hand. I kissed her and told her to have a good nap and closed the door.

I heard her through the monitor moving around and playing in her room for probably an hour, and then I heard it. She opened the door. I put down the footrest on my chair, which makes noise. I heard her scramble around and close the door as I made my way to her room, and as I put my hand on the knob and tried to turn it, I discovered it was locked.

I knocked loudly on the door and told Emma to unlock the door. She immediately started crying (because she knew that she shouldn't have locked the door). I pounded on the door some more (because, honestly, that's a scary feeling not being able to get to my child) and yelled for Emma to unlock the door. She kept saying, "Not right now." We went on like this for what seemed like forever, which was probably only about 3-5 minutes.

Finally, at Chris' suggestion, I tried to calmly talk her through unlocking the door. The first few times I asked her to please unlock the door, she said, "Not right now." Finally she unlocked the door, and I went into her room. I picked her up and hugged her and told her to never, ever do that again because it scared Mommy.

I put her back in her bed and told her it was time to take a nap. She napped without incident.

That's all for now. More later.

No comments: