Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Breadstick conspiracy

Did you ever wonder why, at Olive Garden, when there are, say, four people the waiter brings out a basket of 5 breadsticks? I've always wondered if there was some kind of conspiracy behind the scenes, and the wait staff just wanted to watch people fight over the last stick. Or maybe it's a sociological experiment to see how people react in such a situation.

Well, I was given the opportunity to ask our waiter that very question today at Olive Garden. Amy and I were eating at Olive Garden in Burbank (I will tell you why later), and our waiter, Randy, gave us 3 breadsticks. When he finally came back and asked if we wanted more (since we finished them quickly), I asked him if they give an even number of people an odd number of breadsticks on purpose. Randy laughed and confirmed that, yes, they do it on purpose. The first time they bring out the breadsticks, they are to bring the same number of breadsticks as people at the table PLUS one. Then when they bring out subsequent baskets of breadsticks, they are to bring out as many as are at the table. So I was right. It's all a conspiracy. Just thought you should all be aware of it.

Now, on to why I was dining in Burbank and Amy Cornwell, my good friend from Indiana, was with me in the first place. The husband of a friend of mine works at the celebrity news television show Extra. After seeing Amy's jewelry and her affordable prices, he suggested to his wife that Amy come sell her jewelry at his office, where they often have people come in and sell their wares. So Amy and Dave flew out here on Saturday afternoon, and Amy and I went down to Extra today to do the sale.
We got to meet a lot of nice people, including Dayna Devon and Mark McGrath, the hosts of the show. We got to go in and meet them while they were in makeup. Amy had made a customized necklace for Dayna with her children's names on it, so she gave it to her back there. Dayna loved it and immediately came out to see what other items Amy was selling. It was so neat. She bought a few of the cute barrettes Amy makes for little girls.

Later we got to go onto the set where they were filming the show and take a few pictures with Dayna. I even got in one.
It was so much fun! Dayna was very sweet, as was Mark and everyone else we met. Amy made several sales and took several orders for customized jewelry. Plus I got some free stuff for knowing the right people. :) Sweet.

Plus, Dayna's costume person put some items aside that she will probably be purchasing for Dayna to wear on air, so Amy's jewelry could be on Extra soon! How neat is that?!

So that was our day. Here are the photos I took.

Remind me to tell you later about the ad spots I will be in for Bingo America on GSN starting as early as next week...

That's all for now. More later.

Always remember: Even famous people are short and have thin hair like me. It takes a lot of extensions and very high heels to look fabulous for some of them. What a comforting thought.

2 comments:

theroyers said...

Paul and I actually talked about the breadstick situation last time we ate at Olive Garden! I'm so glad to know now! :) Man, you're famous. I wish we had good cable so we could see you on A&E and GSN!

Rumple Family said...

How very cool! I have looked over Amy's site many times at things I would love to buy. I should put my order in now before she becomes rich and famous and her wares are hundreds of dollars!