Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The cinnamon rolls

Oh, snap.  I told Emma that I'm making cinnamon rolls,thinking she would smile and be happy.  Instead of being excited she put her chin down a little, raised her eyebrows, pointed her little accusatory finger at me and said, "I hope they're going to be good and not terrible."

Now that may sound as if Emma's being a brat ~ which may be slightly the case ~ but under the circumstances, I understand where she's coming from and plan to simply let it go.

A few days ago, I made chili.  And it totally slipped my mind to make cinnamon rolls to go with it.  I can hear what you're thinking: Cinnamon rolls with chili?!  Are you mad?!  (Yes, I've seen Alice in Wonderland a time or two too many as of late.)  I'm from Martinsville, Indiana, and I attended school in the Metropolitan School District of Martinsville, where cinnamon rolls (delicious, homemade cinnamon rolls) were always accompanied the meal on chili day.  And now that's just how chili must be served: with cinnamon rolls.  Try it.  You'll thank me.

Anyway, I realized that I needed to make cinnamon rolls to go with my chili, but I didn't have any Pillsbury ones nor did I have any yeast to make homemade ones.  I found this recipe online that didn't require yeast (which I've never used, anyway, and am honestly a little intimidated by), so I tried it.

Not only did I not use enough milk, making the rolls super flaky and dry, I don't have a rolling pin so I had to use a cylindrical drinking glass, making the rolled out dough pretty uneven and not easy to roll up.  I didn't even take a picture of the finished product because I was so mortified by how bad they looked.

Chris thought they tasted good.  He took the leftover ones to work, and apparently his work friends loved them and devoured them all.  I thought they tasted all right, but Emma did NOT like them.  She said they tasted terrible.  Hey, you can't fault her for being honest.

So that's why Emma said what she said today about the cinnamon rolls ~ the cinnamon rolls which, by the way, were by Pillsbury and turned out delicious.  She ate an entire one.  I ate two; then, as I was putting the rest of the rolls in a plastic container to save for later, I had one that wouldn't fit, so I had to eat it too.

1 comment:

Jamie Bishop said...

I LOVE when extra food doesn't fit! Oh and I can't believe everyone doesn't eat cinnamon rolls with their chili!!!