Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Wednesday: Where am I? Allergy Edition (+ ER)


Well, it's Wednesday.

Where am I, you ask?  Today I am in the throes of an allergy attack.

I am sneezing my head off today, so I pretty much am stuck making this face:

I have a pretty hefty sneeze, but it's always followed by a tiny squeak; which is how I got the nickname "Squeaky" in college.  So I've been sneezing and squeaking all day.  It's quite the show.

My nose is very itchy, as well.
Ralph gets it.
Unfortunately, it seems that no amount of rubbing, scratching or blowing can satisfy or abate the itchiness.  Which is super fun.

I have what's known as hay fever.  Mayoclinic.com describes hay fever thusly: "Hay fever, also called allergic rhinitis, causes cold-like signs and symptoms, such as a runny nose, itchy eyes, congestion, sneezing and sinus pressure. [It] is caused by an allergic response to outdoor or indoor allergens, such as pollen, dust mites or pet dander."  

And the site finds it worth noting that: "Hay fever can make you miserable and affect your performance at work or school and interfere with leisure activities."  Yep.  It's awesome.

I ended up going home and taking two Benadryl.  Now my symptoms have subsided, but I am TOTALLY zoned out.  This is me:
Good times.

Epilogue

I went home.  I was making some homemade guacamole, and the knife slipped while I was trying to get the pit out of the avocado.  I cut myself pretty badly.  I put a wad of paper towels on it and squeezed (you're supposed to apply pressure to a wound) and drove myself to the emergency room.

I was in and out within an hour an a half or so.  I got 6 stitches.

Good times.

1 comment:

Eva @ Snappee Turtle said...

For the love of guacamole!! Sorry friend! Hope it heals fast!! You better have enjoyed all that guacamole to yourself!! :) and boo to hay fever!