Sunday, May 26, 2013

Weekend wrap-up: Memorial Day weekend

First of all, this:
Stitches are OUT.  Holla!

Celebrated the life of a sweet friend on Saturday.  Although we are sad that she is no longer with us, we are glad she's in heaven and is no longer suffering... and we'll see her again someday.  So it's not really a goodbye.  More like a, "See you later!"

Today was a big day here in Indiana: Race Day.  I don't follow racing of any kind; but I do love the Indy 500.  How can you not?  It's exciting!  Plus it gives our family a reason to get together and have some fun.  Big Daddy's uncle and aunt host a race party every year.  There's great food (pitch-in, or potluck for all my West Coast readers), fellowship and fun.  And plenty of adult beverages. :)

And a pool for the race.  Buy-in is $1.  They cut out the driver listings from the paper, then everyone gets to draw.  It's fun because it gives everyone someone for whom to root as we listen to the race on the radio.  The person who has the first driver out of the race gets their $1 back.  First, second, and third place winners get money.  I think I won a few bucks one year.  I had James Hinchcliffe this year.  And I got nothing.

But I did get a few super precious photos with my baby girl, thanks to Big Daddy.

I love that kiddo so much.  She's such a joy.

Do I look a bit drowsy in those photos?  I had loaded up on Ibuprofen (for my still-achy thumb) and Benadryl (for my allergies) before we went to the party.  I was a bit loopy, I think.  At least my thumb didn't hurt, and I didn't sneeze too much.

Looking forward to the holiday tomorrow.  It's a great excuse to sleep in and be lazy... Emma's hoping for a "jammy day."  I think we may go see that new movie Epic.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the point of Memorial Day weekend: remembering the men and women who died serving in the armed forces, protecting our freedoms.  I'm humbled knowing that so many people gave (and still give) of themselves so selflessly for people they don't even know.

So while we're enjoying an extra day off, let's take a moment to pray for the families of those soldiers who gave their "last full measure of devotion.,"  Let's thank God for the freedom we enjoy in this country that wouldn't be possible without these heroes.

(And not to sound too cheesy or anything, but...)
God bless America!

No comments: